I genuinely thought tofu was gross. Like overdone pork levels of gross. How wrong I was. Let me convert you. This is genuinely the only tofu recipe you will ever need. Vegetarian or omnivore, you will love it.
1 200g packet of smoked almond tofu
3 spring onions
1.5 tbsp tamari (soy sauce is fine)
1 tbsp maple syrup/agave nectar
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsbp sesame seeds
Brown rice/buckwheat noodles
Seasonal green veg of choice (I’ve gone for kale, brussel sprouts and pak choi)
1/2 to a whole ripe avocado
1. Slice the tofu into bitesized cubes and set to one side
2. Chop the spring onions fairly finely and place in a bowl
3. To the onions, add the tamari, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and sesame oil and mix
4. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan on high. Once the pan is hot, throw in the tofu – you want to hear it sizzle. Prepare two saucepans with building water – one for the noodles and one for the veg
5. Toss the tofu every few minutes so each side is nicely browned. It should take about 6-10 minutes for the tofu to cook.
6. Meanwhile, place your noodles in boiling water to cook – follow the instructions on the packet
6. Add in the sesame seeds and then pour over the marinade, turning down the heat
7. Steam your vegetables for 3-5 minutes
8. De-stone and slice the avocado
9. Assemble everything on the plate, adding a final flourish of fresh lime and sesame seeds.