My absolute favourite treats growing up were my mum’s two staple no-bake tray bakes. Chocolate Biscuit Cake (basically biscuits, chocolate and raisins) and Mars Bar Rice Crispy Treats (ingredients are as you’ve rightly assumed – Mars Bars and Rice Krispies). Both fresh-out-the-fridge, ice-cold cakes. Each as chewy, crunchy and gooey as the other and absolute taste sensations.
I like to think that now I’ve aged 20 years, I’ve developed a somewhat classier palette. I appreciate the beautiful bitterness of dark chocolate, but can’t escape the comforting familiarity of a store-bought biscuit.
Luckily for anyone on a plant-based diet, a surprising amount of store-bought biccies are vegan friendly. Oreos, Ginger Nuts, Lotus – even some own-brand Bourbons and Digestives. Any of which (providing you read the label) would be suitable for this no-bake tray-bake.
But who can argue with the humble and most-dunkable Rich Tea. No one, in my experience. And that’s why it’s the core crunchy ingredient for this suitably festive, Accidentally Vegan, Rocky Road.
200g Rich Tea biscuits
300g 70% dark chocolate broken into small pieces
130g vegan butter
45g golden syrup
50g macadamia nuts or 50g vegan marshmallows, if you can find them
75g pistachio nuts roughly chopped
60g dried cranberries roughly chopped
60g soft dried pitted dates roughly chopped
Icing sugar (to serve)
Pre-lined dish (I used 11 x 7 rectangular or 20cm x 20cm square works well too)
1. Melt the chocolate on a low heat in a saucepan with the butter and golden syrup
2. Bash the biscuits until you have a mix of small and larger pieces and then add them to a bowl containing the nuts, dried fruit and marshmallows.
3. Pour the chocolate mixture over the biscuit mix and stir until evenly coated.
4. Pour the mixture into a pre-lined dish and press down with the back of a spoon. Place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
5. Remove from the fridge and sprinkle with a little sieved snow (icing sugar). Cut into pieces with a sharp knife.
You can make these with me and the gorgeous In The Kitchen With Kate on my YouTube channel, tonight (10th December) at 7pm.