There was a stage in my life when nothing could beat a tub of Ben And Jerry’s Cookie Dough ice cream. Well, more specifically the cooke dough pieces. I lost count of the amount of times my sister would roll her eyes with frustration when she took off the lid and realised I spooned out the balls from the tub, leaving just frosty remnants of the vanilla ice cream. New balls please!
Alas, my Ben and Jerry’s days are on hold until the vegan version makes it’s way over from Trump land. So I’ve created my own – super easy and actually quite nutritionally dense – version. This is idiot proof. Truuuuust me.
You can watch me making this recipe with Tastemade, HERE.
4 over-ripe peeled and chopped frozen bananas
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 tbsp of maple syrup (to taste depending on how ripe the bananas are)
Pinch of salt
Cookie dough (makes enough for about 12 balls)
50g coarse oat flour
100g deglet pitted dates soaked in hot water
2-3 tablespoons of the date water
1 tbsp of dark chocolate chips (dairy free)
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of coconut oil
pinch of salt
50g of melted dark chocolate
1 tsp of coconut oil
1. Place all the the cookie dough ingredients into a blender until they are combined.
2. Roll the cookie dough into small bite-size balls. Set in the freezer for a minimum of 20 mins.
3. Melt the chocolate in a bain marie and then stir in the coconut oil. Keep warm.
4. Blend the frozen, chopped banana pieces in a high-speed food processor until the have consistency of ice cream – this will take about 10-15 minutes.
5. Once the bananas are completely smooth, add the vanilla and maple syrup (if needed) and blend once more.
6. Remove the cookie dough balls from the freezer and gently fold them into the ice cream, setting a few aside for topping.
7. Serve the ice cream with the remaining cookie dough balls and a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce. You could also add some whipped coconut cream and a cherry for a complete ice cream sundae situation.
Please let me know if you make this by tagging me in a pic on Instagram! Big love, Venetia x