My favourite alcoholic drink – besides Dutty Whine Mulled Wine of course – is a Hendrick’s gin and tonic. Served in a tall crystal glass with ice, a good peel of cucumber, pink peppercorns and don’t forget that all important straw. However, if I overdo it on the Hendrick’s, I’ll wake up the next morning with a sore case of Penelope Prawn eyes (or Marvin Mole eyes, if it’s the male gender you better associate with).
At which point, our humble cucumber sashays back into the ring. But this time, the booze is sidelined in favour of fresh mint and water, for an all natural eye mask, set to soothe those tired peepers. You could also drink it, perhaps replacing the water with coconut water to kick that hangover right out your front door.
You can watch me making this recipe with Tastemade right HERE.
You will need:
A small bunch of fresh mint leaves
Glass of water
Chopping board (or a moveable surface that you can place in the freezer)
1. Peel and chop the cucumber and add to the blender with the mint leaves and water
2. Once the cucumber juice is well blended, pour into a bowl
3. Ensure your hands are super clean and begin soaking your cotton pads
4. drain any excess liquid, then place the pads into the sandwich bags on your chopping board
5. Place in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours
Remove pads from freezer and allow to thaw for a few minutes. Lie back and place the pads over your eyes.
These will keep in the freezer for up to 3 months, so you can make in bulk in advance of that next Penelope moment.